Just Announced: Student Loan Repayments to Restart After Jan. 31, 2022. We are updating our websites and systems as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience. Visit StudentAid.gov/coronavirus for updates.
Pay Bill        
Just Announced: Student Loan Repayments to Restart After Jan. 31, 2022. We are updating our websites and systems as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience. Visit StudentAid.gov/coronavirus for updates.
Pay Bill        

Dept. of Education FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Am I In Default?

A loan is considered in default by failure to repay a loan according to the terms agreed to in the promissory note, the binding legal document you signed at the time you took out your loan.

For most federal student loans, you will default if you have not made a payment in more than 270 days.

See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/default for more information regarding default.

How Do I Get My Loans Out of Default?

Repayment in full: Payoff the balance due immediately or over time through a payment plan.

​Loan Rehabilitation Program: A repayment plan based off your financial situation. See “What is the federal loan rehabilitation program” tab below for further details.

Loan Consolidation: Allows you to combine different types of federal student loans to simplify repayment. Even if you have just one loan, you may still to consolidate it. See “How do I consolidate” tab below for further details.

Compromise: A settlement agreement for a lesser amount than what is due.

Loan Discharge: The most common discharge is Total and Permanent Disability. See “What Paperwork do I need” tab for additional discharge options and applications.

Contact FHC to assist you regarding the option that best fits your financial situation at (877) 677-9126.

What Federal Loans Do I Have?

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student aid. NSLDS has a record of all Federal Student loans. To contact NSLDS, call (800) 433-3243 or create or log into your account at https://nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/

Why Am I Being Garnished?

Administrative Wage Garnishment (AWG) and the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) are tools of last resort used by the U.S. Department of Education (the Department) to recover defaulted student loans.

Thirty days prior to the issuance of the Order of Withholding, a notice is sent to the borrower advising of the Department’s intent to garnish wages, and of their rights and appeal procedures.

Request for Hearing form

Contact FHC at (877) 677-9126 to determine if we can assist in avoiding, suspending or releasing a garnishment.

Why Were My Taxes Taken?

The Treasury Offset Program (TOP) is a centralized offset program, to collect delinquent debts owed to federal agencies and states. Any federal payment, including some Social Security benefits, federal and some state tax returns, can be “offset” and applied to the outstanding debts that have been certified for the program.

See More 

Borrowers are notified 65 days prior to certification for the offset program with instructions on how to prevent certification, as well as the ability to request a review of their account. If you have questions regarding the offset of your federal tax refund or offset of another U.S. government-issued payment, you may phone the Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 800-304-3107.

Please note that certification for the Treasury Offset Program is on a loan holder basis, so you may be certified for loans other than those at FHC. Please see the “What Federal Loans do I have?” tab above to identify other Federal loans that you may have.


How do I make a payment?

Click here to pay online, or:

To mail in a payment, please make it payable to the U.S. Department of Education, note your account number (see box to the right for sample of where to find your account number on letter) on the face of the payment instrument, and mail it to:

​U.S. Department of Education
National Payment Center
P.O. Box 790336
St. Louis, MO 63179-0336


U.S. Bank Government Lockbox
Attn: Department of Education National Payment Center # 790336
1005 Convention Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63101

Conditional statements on your payment instruments (e.g., “account paid in full”) are not legally binding. The only statement that you can direct on your payment instrument is for payment of specific debts, which should be noted on the payment instrument.

​You can contact FHC and see if you qualify for a payment plan or program, and can secure payments over the phone by calling (877) 677-9126.

Please note that voluntary payments may not qualify for particular programs without income verification, and please contact the office to make sure that payments are timely and qualifying.


Consolidation is the process of combining one or more Federal Student Loans into one new loan. At the time of consolidation, the new interest rate is determined by the weighted average of the loans being consolidated, and will remain a fixed rate for the life of the loan.

​Please contact FHC at (877) 677 9126 to determine your eligibility for Loan Consolidation, where a representative will calculate if you qualify to make three consecutive timely payments, or if you qualify for an income-driven repayment plan.

Consolidation Application
This form is used to apply for a consolidation of your Federal loans.

Repayment Form
This is the form to use if you were qualified for the three consecutive monthly payments for your repayment options after consolidation.

Income Driven Repayment Plan Form
This is the form to use to select your repayment plan after consolidation if you were qualified for Income Driven payments.



Resolve Your Account

Call FHC today at (877)677-9126 for the best options available for you to resolve your account.

Contact Us

FHC looks forward to answering any questions you may have regarding your account, explaining all options available to you and assisting you in resolving the account.

Contact Us Today

What is achieved by partnering with FHC is economies of scale, lower costs, and improved management efficiency.