The knowledgeable staff at F.H. Cann & Associates, Inc. (“FHC”) is available to listen to your unique situation, and help you resolve your account in the manner that best fits your needs. FHC is dedicated to helping consumers resolve their accounts in a friendly and professional manner.

For federal student loans, the benefits of getting out of default include the following:


  • Deferment and forbearance time not already used may be available again

  • Options for flexible, income-driven repayment plans may be available

  • Subsidized interest benefits may begin again

  • Additional Title IV federal financial aid may be available

  • No longer at risk for administrative wage garnishment process

  • Your tax refund or other government payments would no longer be in danger of seizure and application to this loan(s)



Call FHC today at (877) 677-9126 for the best options available for you to resolve your account.

A loan is considered in default by failure to repay a loan according to the terms agreed to in the promissory note, the binding legal document you signed at the time you took out your loan.


For most federal student loans, you will default if you have not made a payment in more than 270 days.

See for more information regarding default.

How do I get my loans out of default?

Repayment in full: Payoff the balance due immediately or over time through a payment plan.

Loan Rehabilitation Program: A repayment plan based off your financial situation. See “What is the federal loan rehabilitation program” tab below for further details.


Loan Consolidation: Allows you to combine different types of federal student loans to simplify repayment. Even if you have just one loan, you may still to consolidate it. See “How do I consolidate” tab below for further details.


Compromise: A settlement agreement for a lesser amount than what is due.


Loan Discharge: The most common discharge is Total and Permanent Disability. See “What Paperwork do I need” tab for additional discharge options and applications.


Contact FHC to assist you regarding the option that best fits your financial situation at (877) 677-9126.

What federal loans do I have?

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid. NSLDS has a record of all Federal Student loans. To contact NSLDS, call (800) 433-3243 or create or log into your account at

Why am I being garnished?

Administrative Wage Garnishment (AWG) and the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) are tools of last resort used by the U.S. Department of Education (the Department) to recover defaulted student loans.


Thirty days prior to the issuance of the Order of Withholding, a notice is sent to the borrower advising of the Department's intent to garnish wages, and of their rights and appeal procedures.


Link to Request for Hearing form


Contact FHC at (877) 677-9126 to determine if we can assist in avoiding, suspending or releasing a garnishment.

Why were my taxes taken?

The Treasury Offset Program (TOP) is a centralized offset program, to collect delinquent debts owed to federal agencies and states. Any federal payment, including some Social Security benefits, federal and some state tax returns, can be “offset” and applied to the outstanding debts that have been certified for the program.

See for more information.


Borrowers are notified 65 days prior to certification for the offset program with instructions on how to prevent certification, as well as the ability to request a review of their account. If you have questions regarding the offset of your federal tax refund or offset of another U.S. government-issued payment, you may phone the Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 800-304-3107.


Please note that certification for the Treasury Offset Program is on a loan holder basis, so you may be certified for loans other than those at FHC. Please see the “What Federal Loans do I have?” tab above to identify other Federal loans that you may have.

What is the Federal Loan Rehabilitation Program?

Federal Loan Rehabilitation is a one-time opportunity that may be available for borrowers that have not rehabilitated their loan(s) on or after August 14, 2008 that re-establishes a payment history making income-driven payments that will delete the default notation after successful completion of the program.

Advantages of rehabilitation include:


  • Your loan(s) will no longer be considered to be in a default status.

  • The default status reported by your loan holder to the national credit bureaus will be deleted.

  • You will be eligible for the same benefits that were available on the loans before the loans defaulted. This may include deferment, forbearance, and Title IV eligibility.

  • Wage garnishment ends and the Internal Revenue Service no longer withholds your income tax refund.


If you are a Direct Loan of FFEL Loan Borrower:


  • To rehabilitate a Direct Loan, you must make at least nine (9) full payments of an agreed amount within twenty (20) days of their monthly due dates over a ten (10) month period to the U.S. Department of Education (Department). Payments secured from you on an involuntary basis, such as through wage garnishment or litigation, cannot be counted toward your nine (9) payments. Once you have made the required payments, your loan(s) will be returned to loan servicing.


If you are a Perkins loan borrower:


  • To rehabilitate a Perkins Loan, you much make nine (9) on-time, monthly payments of an agreed amount within twenty (20) days of their monthly due dates to the Department. Payments secured from you on an involuntary basis, such as through wage garnishment or litigation, cannot be counted toward your nine (9) payments. Once you have made the required payments, your loan(s) will continue to be serviced by the Department until the balance owed is paid in full.



Rehabilitation payments are based on your income, so you may be required to provide a copy of your most recent tax return (within the last two years), a completed signed Financial Information Statement , copies of paystubs for yourself and your spouse, if applicable, as well as documentation of regular monthly expenses, if needed.

You can download a transcript of your most recent tax return at See ‘What paperwork do I need?’ for other forms. Please contact F.H. Cann at (877) 677-9126 to go over your options.


For an estimate of your repayment amount after successful completion of rehabilitation, please see

What paperwork do I need?

Loan Rehabilitation Program Documents:


Option 1:


1040 Income Tax returns signed or tax transcript signed.

1040-ES Work Sheet (Self Employed)

Option 2:


Financial Information Statement This form is used to determine a reasonable and affordable Loan Rehabilitation payment. Any supporting documents required with the form.


References Template This form is to document the contact references for your Loan Rehabilitation Programs


Loan Consolidation & Standard Repayment Documents:

Consolidation Application.This form is used to apply for a consolidation of your Federal loans. Standard Repayment Form This is the form to use if you were qualified for the three consecutive monthly payments for your repayment options after consolidation.


Financial Disclosure Statement(Loan Consolidations & Standard Repayments) Income Driven Repayment Plan Form This is the form to use to select your repayment plan after consolidation if you were qualified for Income Driven payments.

Third Party Authorization:This form is to authorize another party to receive and discuss your personal information regarding your account.


Death Certificate: If we have attempted to contact an individual that is deceased and owes a debt with The Department, please send a copy of their death certificate to the address below.


Incarceration: If we have attempted to contact an individual that is incarcerated and owes a debt with The Department, please send us written correspondence to the address below.


Total and Permanent Disability Discharge Application: If you are totally and permanently disabled, you may qualify to have your loans discharged. You can also contact Nelnet at (888) 303-7818 or visit for more information.


School Closure Loan Discharge


False Certification (Ability to Benefit)


False Certification (Disqualifying Status)


False Certification (Unauthorized Signature/Payment)


Unpaid Refund


Teacher Loan Forgiveness


Public Service Loan Forgiveness


Borrower Defense


All paperwork can be sent by mail, fax or email to:

P.O. Box 877
North Andover, MA 01845
Fax: 877-677-9133

How do I make a payment?

To mail in a payment, please make it payable to the U.S. Department of Education, note your account number (see box to the right for sample of where to find your account number on letter) on the face of the payment instrument, and mail it to:

U.S. Department of Education
National Payment Center
P.O. Box 790336
St. Louis, MO 63179-0336



U.S. Bank Government Lockbox
Attn: Department of Education National Payment Center # 790336
1005 Convention Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63101


Conditional statements on your payment instruments (e.g., “account paid in full”) are not legally binding. The only statement that you can direct on your payment instrument is for payment of specific debts, which should be noted on the payment instrument.

You can contact FHC and see if you qualify for a payment plan or program, and can secure payments over the phone by calling (877) 677-9126.


Please note that voluntary payments may not qualify for particular programs without income verification, and please contact the office to make sure that payments are timely and qualifying

How do I consolidate?

Consolidation is the process of combining one or more Federal Student Loans into one new loan. At the time of consolidation, the new interest rate is determined by the weighted average of the loans being consolidated, and will remain a fixed rate for the life of the loan.

Please contact FHC at (877) 677 9126 to determine your eligibility for Loan Consolidation, where a representative will calculate if you qualify to make three consecutive timely payments, or if you qualify for an income-driven repayment plan.


Consolidation Application


Repayment Form


Income Driven Repayment Plan Form

Contact F.H. Cann & Associates

FHC looks forward to answering any questions you may have regarding your account, explaining all options available to you and assisting you in resolving the account.

To contact F.H. Cann & Associates go to:

Make Payments

You are about to leave the F.H.Cann website. F.H.Cann and Associates Inc. is not responsible for the content of the site you are going to with regard to the actions you take regarding making payments.

Tell us what you think.

Please let us know your feedback, comments, and questions here:

We also encourage you to share your feedback using the form fields below.

Your feedback is valuable.
How satisfied are you with F.H. Cann & Associates?How satisfied are you with F.H. Cann & Associates?
How would you rate the usefulness of the information on this page?How would you rate the usefulness of the information on this page?
Rate your interactions with F.H. Cann & Associates Inc. employees?Rate your interactions with F.H. Cann & Associates Inc. employees?
How well did we understand your questions and concerns?How well did we understand your questions and concerns?
How well did your repayment options fit your needs?How well did your repayment options fit your needs?
F.H. Cann & Associates, Inc.

1600 Osgood Street, Suite 2-120 

North Andover, MA 01845

11499 Chester Road, Suite 101 Sharonville, OH 45246

© 2020 by F.H. Cann & Associates, Inc.

All Rights Reserved.

  • Black LinkedIn Icon
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon